Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Vision?

Are all people motivated internally? Are some people just made up that way? Or do all people need a dose of vision given to them from time to time? Is it because we are all running so fast that we don't stop and think about what we are doing or why we are doing it?

I am hanging out downtown today walking all over and thinking about this. Is it my job as the leader to stand up in front of less than 10 people and write values on a flip chart? Yes. Why does it feel like someone else's job? I know that I get so frustrated when I am not given any clear vision, regardless of the size of the group. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the details of what all needs to be done, that we neglect talking about why we even do this stuff.

It can probably be traced back to all kinds of stuff that I should be going to a councelor for, but I have a hard time thinking that I have the market cornered on the values we should hold to. Aren't they obvious? Don't we all know them and follow them each week? If I were to take a poll of my team, staff and volunteers, I am guess that maybe 1 person would be able to vaguely remember me holding up one value once.

If you are leading a team of technical people, regardless of the size, it is our responsibility to lead the way for these people. To hold up the banner for the technical arts. Your people need to know we aren't just doing all this because the pastor asked for it. Why do we do it a certain way? Why do we always set the band up on stage right? Why do we have to have white top light on all the people.

I know you're not an up front kind of person, neither am I. Push yourself out there. If you don't no one else will. I am telling all this to myself. I think I know what matters. I am going to share it. Regardless of how uncomfortable it seems standing at a flip chart, when the room is half full of attitude problems.

2 comments:

JVK said...

"Values are caught, not taught." JEF
All that to say that the important things that are foundational should be obvious and easy to find in yourself and the rest should fall into place around it(sounds very abstract). Its weird, but its kinda like parenting... I can usually tell when my kids have not spent much quality time with me, they start to act up and you begin to wonder if thats how you have raised them. I find that if I spend some good fun time with any of my kids, they tend to respond to me and understand what are my values are that I hold to.
So instead of discipline, I just make sure I get some good time with that particular child.
In the tech world, that may be less putting out fires and "in the moment" stuff and more fundamentals and what really matters. Eat, Breath, Sleep the important stuff.

Thanks for being vulnerable Todd and letting me share.
Miss you guys.
Blessings...

jvk

Todd Elliott said...

I agree with you to a point. There is huge things to be said for creating an atmosphere where your values and vision are known and obvious. However, I think that people have a need to be called to something bigger and to have the foundation of what matters reinforced. If we aren't reminded of them from time to time, people will be making choices based on what they think are the values.

Example: I put gaff tape over the brand name on a keyboard. I get made fun of all the time. My value isn't that I don't want to offer free advertisements, but that when the keyboard shows up in the message shot, I don't want it to be distracting to the people watching. If there were no message shot, I wouldn't waste the gaff tape.

Stupid example I know, but it is just a small version of many other decisions that get made from a faulty sense of values.

Thanks for the conversation.